Next NKU women’s basketball coach comes home

Jeff+Hans+was+named+NKUs+next+womens+basketball+coach+earlier+this+week.+
NKU Athletics
Jeff Hans was named NKU’s next women’s basketball coach earlier this week.

“We look forward to creating a positive culture through integrity, trust and gratitude that will lead to success on the court, in the classroom, and in the community.”

This was the new NKU Women’s Basketball Head Coach Jeff Hans, opening statement at his introductory press conference Monday afternoon. He takes over the program almost three weeks after the Norse agreed to part ways with former coach, Camryn Volz.

Coach Hans comes from a program at Thomas More University where he won three national titles and was named National Coach of the Year just as many times. His total record of 339-42 equates to about an 89% win percentage, but he made sure to establish that his success was about the team, not just him.

I don’t know the winning percentage, I can’t tell you,” Hans said. “There’s 42, that’s the only number I know about and that’s the number of losses in 13 years.

He said how getting to this point in his career wasn’t something he did alone.

There’s a lot of people that helped me get there. This wasn’t a Jeff Hans thing by any means,” the coach said.

He has developed multiple players into National Player of the Year award winners in his 13 years with the Saints, 43 All-Conference Players and 21 All-Americans have come from Hans’ programs, and it is hoped to continue during his return to the NKU program. 

He spent time at NKU as an assistant from 2001-2002 before setting off on his future coaching career.

“We went as quickly as we could knowing that we needed to make the right decision. If it took a little bit longer to make sure that we got the right person, that’s what we were gonna do,” said Christina Roybal, the director of Athletics.

Hans added how he hopes to create an atmosphere that is both positive and successful for the women’s basketball team. 

“We look forward to creating a positive culture through integrity, trust and gratitude that will lead to success on the court, in the classroom, and in the community,” Hans said.