‘He was larger than life’: NKU student remembered at candlelight vigil

Family members, friends and NKU community members gathered together on the bridge of Loch Norse Wednesday night to celebrate the life of an NKU student who died last month

The vigil was organized on behalf of the Finance & Accounting Student Association with help from Dr. Lee Kersting, department chair of accounting, economics and finance at NKU. 

As the electric flames of the candles flickered and wind brushed over the water and packed bridge, small anecdotes about Lawson Murdock were shared.

Those in attendance heard supportive remarks from NKU President Cady Short-Thompson as the vigil began. 

“We all feel the impact of loss, and we are here together to support one another. I see his family here, I see his friends and I see his NKU family as well. And I just want to say that I find it moving to see all of your support here this evening,” Short-Thompson said. 

Close friends of the student, like Hayden Emral, remembered Murdock for his laughs, and encouraged others to realize the seriousness of mental health. 

“We will honor his memory by doing what he did best—laughing and enjoying the little things in life. I know it seems impossible right now, but that’s what he’d want for us,” Emral said. “Mental health is real, and it is more important than any of us will ever know.” 

NKU student Manny Aguirre recalled just a fraction of the special things about Murdock and their friendship—his radiant smile, political debates that turned into rap battles and the fun times spent together. 

“I’ll never forget the first day I met Lawson, I was greeted with the biggest smile I had ever seen,” Aguirre said. “We also often got into political debates that often led to arguments we immediately got over… maybe minutes later we turned on a rap beat and freestyled it with lines that made no sense. We had so much fun.” 

Aguirre added how he’ll remember Murdock’s positive and optimistic attitude, and mourned the missing part that is now left in the friend group he shared with Murdock.

“This is someone that can see the good and find the fun in anything. That is why Lawson was such a great member of our community,” Aguirre said. “Our friend group has tried to get together, however, we can’t get over the fact that we’re missing something. We’re missing someone.” 

Shawn Rae Murdock, Lawson’s mother, mentioned the significance of Lawson’s impact on the world and people around him.

“He enjoyed his time with each of you, and although we’re gonna miss him so much, we know his impact was large. We will miss him so much. He was larger than life and I just can’t imagine life without him. Thank you again for being here,” his mother said. 

Editor’s note—If you’re struggling with your mental health, please call NKU’s Health, Counseling and Student Wellness counselors and support services by calling 859-572-5650. Access the 24/7 hour crisis line by calling 859-572-7777, or the national crisis line by calling 1-800-784-2433 or texting 741741.