Friends of Dorothy discusses implications of anti-diversity, equity and inclusion bills

The queer-friendly student organization plans to crusade against new state bills that would imperil DEI programs at public universities.
A+student+organization+is+beginning+an+effort+to+speak+out+against+proposed+state+laws+that+would+hobble+college+DEI+programs.+
Billy Keeney
A student organization is beginning an effort to speak out against proposed state laws that would hobble college DEI programs.

Friends of Dorothy (FoD) met today about new bills in the Kentucky General Assembly after calling on all queer-identifying students to attend.

The student organization is an advocacy and support group leveled at creating a safe and inclusive campus environment for “for queer non-women who are attracted to other queer non-women,” according to their myEngagement page

In a written statement to The Northerner, the organization’s President James Renton said the meeting was held to discuss the Kentucky state legislator’s filing of two bills opposing “diversity, equity and inclusion,” sometimes referred to as “DEI,” and how they impact the organization’s future. 

DEI is a philosophy that has made significant headway in higher education. It aims to ensure fair treatment and access to resources for traditionally underrepresented groups. Opponents say the framework inhibits intellectual freedom and can overshadow meritocracy and divide groups by identity.

Bills targeted at eliminating DEI programs in education have gained popularity around the United States. The two bills recently filed in Kentucky that are grabbing the attention of NKU students are House Bill 9 and Senate Bill 6

Senate Bill 6 would prohibit postsecondary education institutions from penalizing students and employees for rejecting any “divisive concept.” It would also allow students and employees to sue universities if they were “aggrieved by a violation” of the bill and require that public universities administer surveys to monitor whether students and employees feel comfortable speaking freely on campus. 

House Bill 9 would defund DEI programs and officers, prohibit giving college credit for classes that promote DEI ideas, and restrict considering or soliciting comments about religion, race, sex, color or national origin for admission or scholarship application processes. It would also permit the Attorney General to bring civil action against institutions in violation. 

Friends of Dorothy met on Thursday to discuss what these bills could mean for their organization and the Center For Student Inclusiveness if passed. 

They fear that the Center For Student Inclusiveness, which houses African American Student Initiatives, LGBTQA+ Student Initiatives and Latino Student Initiatives, could be dissolved and any student organization with identity-based membership along with it. 

Renton said that they will be launching a messaging campaign in protest of the bills.  

Renton also said at the meeting that they predict one of the primary challenges in coping with the potential changes would be ensuring that queer students who have not come out have a safe and supportive environment.  

The group plans to continue working on strategies to fight against the bills at future meetings.