13 questions with SGA President Isaiah Phillips

Emory Davis
Covington native Isaiah Phillips was voted Student Government Association’s President for the 2023-24 academic year.

Junior Isaiah Phillips serves as NKU’s Student Government Association President. He also serves as student regent, being the sole student representative on the Board of Regents. Phillips began his presidency in July 2023, along with his vice president Lucy Burns. The president is from Covington, Kentucky and double majors in psychology and sociology. The following are direct responses from Phillips in a sit-down interview with The Northerner.

1. What brought you to NKU?

Ironically, NKU was my last application I sent in, out of seven or eight. It’s funny now being SGA president. But, proximity. I’m really close to the area, I grew up like 15 minutes away. I think at the time—when I was 18 and exploring colleges—I don’t think I was mature enough or cognizant enough of different environments to thrive anywhere else. I needed to stay close to the area I was comfortable in, and it worked out really well. Probably the best decision I’ve ever made.

2. How was your experience as SGA vice president different from president?

Being president and also being regent, in that sort of bifurcated role, you get to understand more of the behind the scenes stuff at the university. You also have a bigger network to accomplish certain things. I remember [2022-23 SGA President Daniel Myers] told me last year that the president is the buffer for an organization. No matter what goes right, no matter what goes wrong… I’m not saying it’s a bad thing, it’s just the fact of the matter. I like the challenge, though.

3. What inspired you to run for SGA president?

To do what I wanted to do on a larger scale. Serving under Daniel, I saw the networks he had, the navigants he used to accomplish what he could. And I’m like, you know what, if I ran for president and I won president, I could affect change at a larger scale and also increase my love for positive influence among different communities on campus. And that’s what I’ve really been trying to do.

4. What does leadership mean to you? 

Leadership is someone who’s not afraid to take their experience in their own hands. I feel like that’s how I got into SGA: I was challenged. I was complaining about something that I didn’t necessarily like within my experience, and [2021-22 SGA President] Aliya Cannon opened the navigant for me and said, “This is an organization where you can actually accomplish something without complaining.” And the other side of that is also developing those around you and the people after you, so you’ve kind of tossed the baton. Because no matter how effective the things I do, if I don’t set the next person up for success, I didn’t serve well as a leader.

5. What has been a defining moment for you within SGA?

I think of the times where I really sat back and was like, “Dang, I’m president. This is real.” I’d say after the freshman convocation speech and a whole new wave of students meeting me in that role before they got to meet me as a college student. I would see them in passing—and I wear suits a lot—and I’d be like, “I’m going to class!” They’d be like, “Oh, you’re a student? No way!” I guess that’s been a defining moment for me. 

6. What do you feel is the most pressing issue on NKU’s campus right now?

I don’t think there’s one that necessarily sticks out more than the rest in my opinion. I don’t like putting [certain] issues in front of other issues. But I want to be very intentional and adamant about addressing the silos between communities of students. Another thing [is] an overall lack of enthusiasm for the university. I want students to be in a place where they enjoy being and they can encourage other people to come as well. Another thing is a lack of support from faculty and staff in some areas. They overall do a good job, but I don’t think they understand the level of influence they have on a person’s development.

Isaiah Phillips serves as the student regent on NKU’s Board of Regents. (Emory Davis)

7. What is your favorite thing to do when you have free time?

Oh! I have two. Can I have two? I love going hiking. Hiking is one of my favorite things to do. I feel like when I’m out in nature I feel really grounded. I like listening to the sounds of it. It helps me kind of turn my mind off in a sense because my mind is always working. I like going thrifting a lot. I enjoy clothes, I enjoy fashion and styling.

8. What do you wish more students knew about SGA?

How great an opportunity it is for them. They can not only find an identity here, but [SGA] can also propel them toward being the person they always dreamed of, even if they didn’t see it in the cards themselves. I never saw myself being SGA president when I started my freshman year, but I ended up doing it. I love it; it’s been the greatest opportunity I could ever imagine. But I think an overall lack of awareness is probably SGA’s biggest detriment—an awareness of who we are and what we do.

9. How do you manage your responsibilities as SGA president and your responsibilities as a student? 

Time management. I’m really particular about my calendar. Everyone who tries to do anything with me, I always say, “Send me a calendar invite first.” I’m a stickler for writing down everything because I never know what information is going to be useful and what isn’t. Also understanding myself. I feel like throughout this I’ve gotten a greater opportunity to self-reflect more and become more self-aware. Oh! And I’m big on making agendas for the day. I’ll be up at like 12 in the morning writing my notes, planning for tomorrow. 

10. You have served as student regent during a time of major change for the university, what has that been like?

A great opportunity, a great experience. I love being a part of those conversations. I thought the transition of being a regent was going to be a lot harder than what it was. All the regents respect me as one of their own and also value my opinions and perspectives. Especially with the hiring of our new president, that was a great opportunity. Working with her and learning who she is as a person and hearing her plans for the university brings this new enthusiasm everybody feels as well. 

11. Where can you most often be found on campus?

In my office—SU 333. It’s a safe space. It’s a space I can go to to get work done. It’s a space I can go to if I need to unwind and not be around anybody. I can turn the lights off and take a 15-20-minute nap if I have to. It’s a place I can go to at eight in the morning or seven at night.

12. What advice would you give your younger self?

Don’t limit your thinking. One of the best pieces of advice I’ve ever gotten was that leaders create. It doesn’t matter what a constitution says, it doesn’t matter what your specific rules or regulations say about your role, be as creative and innovative as possible.

13. How do you want NKU to remember you after your presidency ends?

I want people to remember my presidency as someone who didn’t come in making promises he couldn’t keep. I want them to remember me as someone that is friendly, inviting and gets done what they say they need to get done, but is also personable and relatable enough to just kick it with and say hi in the hallway, even if you don’t want to be a part of SGA.