Christian organizations gather together at ‘NKUnited’

Students congregated into a dimly lit Otto M. Budig Theatre Thursday night. Seeking Christian community, the students came to be a part of “NKUnited,” a once-a-semester event where every Christian student organization on campus comes together for fellowship and worship.

Nelle Yankovich, member of Fellowship of Christian Athletes, described the event as a way for people of various organizations to be introduced to other Christians and gather together, instead of just sticking with their individual groups.

Madison Fulton, a member of Delight Ministries, pointed out the importance of different campus ministries interacting with one another. “We’re all like the body of Christ,” Fulton said. “It’s so important for us to get to know one another because our main goal is Jesus, honestly.”

Throughout the night, a worship team with three vocalists, a keyboard player, guitarist and cajon (or box drum) player, led the attendees in songs. Scripture, prayer and testimonies were shared by student leaders of various Christian organizations.

Fulton was one of the students who shared her story on stage over the course of the night. “God has aligned everything up for me to be able to have this chance,” Fulton said of her testimony-sharing experience.

NKUnited has hosted attendees at a multitude of venues over the years: the Baptist Student Center, Catholic Newman Center, Student Union and more, Campus Outreach staff member Tekiuh Hutton recalled. Hosting the event in a more accessible place like the University Center allows for more students who might be curious to learn about faith the chance to attend, she mentioned.

“Having it in a place like the [University Center] can give them the freedom to walk in and not feel like they’re going specifically into a religious space,” Hutton said. “The feeling’s the same, but maybe to someone on the outside it’s not as intimidating.”

“Don’t limit God to one space. He’s for everybody,” said College Life member Cameron Hilbert about bringing NKUnited to the University Center.

Yankovich said at the end of the night, the goal was for fellow believers to encourage one another and lift each other up.

“Where two or more are gathered, [Jesus] is there,” Yankovich said.