Associated Press editor set to speak at NKU

Associated Press
Senior Vice President and Executive Editor with the Associated Press Julie Pace will be speaking at NKU on Nov. 9.

Senior Vice President and Executive Editor with the Associated Press (AP) Julie Pace, will be speaking at Northern Kentucky University’s digitorium in Griffin Hall on Thursday, Nov. 9. 

Pace has been with the Associated Press since 2007, starting with work as a multimedia political journalist. She held the position of the AP’s Washington Bureau Chief as well as the assistant managing editor from 2017-2021 when she was named as the organization’s senior vice president and executive editor. Some of her efforts to uphold the values of the Associated Press include her work in growing the fact-checking processes within the organization. 

With the lecture this Thursday, Pace continues a “15-year tradition of bringing an AP journalist to campus to discuss current events, public affairs, and how AP covers them,” according to the Six @ Six website. 

This event is taking place as part of a lecture series called Six @ Six, put on by the Scripps Howard Center for Civic Engagement.  Director Mark Neikirk described the lecture series as taking campus conversation to the community. 

“In community engagement there’s the role of the university as a public intellectual–how can we contribute to the community’s understanding across a variety of topics,” said Neikirk when discussing the purpose of the Six @ Six series. 

“I’ve been coming to the Six @ Six events for several years and they’re just always very informative. They’re usually a topic that you aren’t going to see covered in the same depth anywhere else,” said Pete Nerone, a usual Six @ Six attendee. 

Each lecture has a different topic and a speaker that works in a field surrounding that topic. Members of both the campus community and the local community are able to attend these lectures that take place in various locations relating to the topics. The lecture this week revolves around journalism and its changes as technology evolves. 

“AP is really the world’s leading news organization and the topic of how news is covered with all of the things that are changing in the field of journalism right now, some of the distrust that’s out there in the public. Here is someone whose daily job is to keep telling the news from around the world and to tell it objectively,” said Neikirk.  

“You have to choose your news sources, you need varying opinions and then you need to form your own opinion. Associated Press has always been one of the prime sources for news that’s still a reliable source,” said Nerone. 

Neikirk also says that a core role of Scripps Howard Center for Civic Engagement “involves encouraging students and the community to participate in the democracy and be well informed on issues.” He hopes that the lecture with Julie Pace will further strengthen the center’s efforts. 

The lecture is available to all, both in-person in Griffin Hall’s digitorium at NKU and via Zoom at 6 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 9. Registration is not required but is suggested.