International Student Union President inspires leadership and inclusivity

In the bustling heart of NKU, a dedicated and dynamic leader has been making waves in the world of international student affairs. Shreya Acharya serves as the president of the International Student Union (ISU) while also managing her responsibilities as a full-time student and a part-time employee.

The third year student came to the United States from Nepal over two years ago to pursue an education in Computer Information Technology. However, she didn’t stop there: Acharya also took on roles as a Global Ambassador, College of Informatics Ambassador and general member of Norse Leadership Society.

Acharya’s dedication to ISU goes beyond her title. She has made it a priority to ensure that ISU is being advertised to both domestic and international students because, as she puts it, “there’s more to international students than the countries they’re from. We have so much to offer.” Her inclusive approach shows her commitment to fostering diversity and inclusivity on campus.

When asked about balancing academics and extracurriculars, Acharya emphasized, “Time management is key.” She employs effective strategies such as allocating a specific day for each responsibility she has.

One of the shining moments in Acharya’s leadership journey was the successful Henna event that ISU put together, which showcased the beauty of cultural traditions. The ISU leadership team made sure to have henna sheets and henna cones on hand, providing students who attended the event with an immersive experience. Additionally, the Moon Festival event, organized by ISU under her leadership, brought students together from different backgrounds to celebrate and share their cultures and saw ISU members actively assisting students in crafting and hanging up lanterns.

Acharya’s leadership style is characterized by active listening, thoughtful decision-making and an unwavering commitment to her responsibilities, according to Divya Srinivas. Srinivas, a fellow ISU member and treasurer of the organization, described Acharya as a “doer” who steps up when needed and can be trusted to deliver on her promises. “There are no ‘ifs’ or ‘buts’ with Shreya,” said Srinivas. “If no one volunteers, she’s the first to step up, you can trust her and count on her for anything.”

Under Acharya’s guidance, ISU has fostered collaboration with other organizations such as Norse Violence Prevention for the henna event on campus, bridging the gap between American and international cultures. Her collaborative efforts have led to successful events, where students from various backgrounds came together to celebrate diversity.

Duong Pham, who has worked closely with Shreya as the vice president of ISU for two years, emphasized Acharya’s inclusive leadership style, stating, “She makes sure everyone is heard.” Pham also highlighted Acharya’s ability to face challenges head-on, referring to budget issues that ISU has been having. “Shreya has done a great job with finding funding through collaborating with other organizations,” Pham said.

Acharya’s time as ISU President coincided with a period of rebuilding for the organization. Despite challenges, including budget constraints, Acharya’s leadership and resourcefulness have revitalized ISU, according to Pham. Her legacy is one of transformation, with Acharya herself stating that she wants to leave ISU “more alive.”

As Acharya prepares to pass on the torch to future leaders, her vision for ISU remains clear. “I want to make ISU more renowned and welcoming,” she said. She hopes that ISU will continue to thrive, capturing the enthusiasm of students who want to contribute to a vibrant and diverse campus community.

Acharya shared valuable advice for fellow students aspiring to make a positive impact on campus and in their communities: “Do what your heart desires, let go of the expectations others have. If you feel like something is too much, it’s okay to let it go.”