NKU ranks in top 50 nationally for best value

The Wall Street Journal released it ranking of American universities with the best value
Cameron Nielsen
Students gather in the Health Innovation Center.

NKU ranked among the best of the best universities in the nation when it comes to value, according to a report from The Wall Street Journal.

In a list of the top 50 “best value” schools, NKU earned a rank of 40, beating out all other public institutions in the Commonwealth and the region. The list of ranked universities can be found at the bottom of the article.

The Wall Street Journal released its ranking of American universities on Sept. 18, basing the criteria on affordability and the opportunity for graduates to find lucrative careers. According to the report, the net price of a Bachelor’s degree from NKU can pay for itself with only 14 months of a student’s salary following graduation. 

Interim President Bonita Brown spoke to the investment of a college education, especially one from NKU.

“I think as you’re picking a college, you should look at [the investment] and weigh it against your family income, your desires and your plans for the future,” Brown said. “You understand that there is a cost, but at the same time, you also want to look at universities and see how they’re placing students and how students are doing after graduation.”

Finances were a top priority for juniors Sulav Thapa and Manan Sahni when deciding on a university. Both students are from Nepal, although Sahni has earned his United States citizenship during his time at NKU. 

“We both got good scholarships when we came here,” Sahni said of the two juniors. “And we were looking for opportunities, so Cincinnati is considered to be one of the most rising economies around the United States.”

These factors are why the interim president is so excited by NKU’s ranking. The report shows, Brown said, that even if Norse must pay out of pocket or take loans, these will pay off quickly— and in a lucrative career. 

“Even if we didn’t have scholarships, the tuition is affordable,” Sahni pointed out.

Freshman Maria Holmes noted that affordability wasn’t a prime concern when she decided on NKU. Instead, she focused on the campus community, class experiences and the people she met.

“[Cost] was definitely factored. Out of all the schools that I had on my list, NKU was kind of in the middle range, but we didn’t worry too much about it because we loved everything else about the school,” Holmes said of her family’s deciding factors.

Nepali students Thapa and Sahni raised the question of what the ranking meant for students, as some international students struggle to find jobs in the U.S. post graduation. 

“I think being listed as 40 helps, but what is it bringing to the students?” Sahni asked.

A press release from the university pointed out that graduation rates have increased, while the time students spend earning their degree has decreased. Brown said that the university’s graduation rates have soared, climbing nearly eight percentage points over the last five years. “That’s almost unheard of,” the interim president said.

“We’ve been telling students, parents, legislators, anyone who will listen, that an investment in an NKU education is the best return in the state and in the region,” said Brown.

Berea College, a private university located south of Lexington, landed the 20 spot on the list, being the only other Kentucky representative. Nine schools of the top 20 were located in California, including Stanford and Princeton University.

The U.S. Colleges Offering the Best Value - WSJ (1)