Snow takes university by storm

Kevin Schultz, Editor-in-Chief

Layers of snow, sleet and ice blanketed campus Tuesday night into Wednesday morning, leaving campus to appear as a vast ghost town after an exodus of students, faculty and staff left campus due to the cancellation of all classes after 4 p.m.,  announced by NKU officials Tuesday afternoon.

But just because campus was emptied, doesn’t mean communication about the winter weather on and around campus stopped.

Students, faculty, staff and other community members took to social media to express their concerns about the weather at NKU; discussing whether to stay open, close or delay classes for future days.

One freshman undeclared  major at NKU took to Twitter:

The hashtag Cummins used, “#CloseNKU,” gained huge popularity on Twitter within the last couple of days, with countless users tweeting their opinions, as well as sharing their own experiences with the weather.

Facebook was also a popular outlet used.

CarWindow_Web

The photo Murray posted on Facebook of his broken back windshield. Murray’s windshield broke as a result of trying to rid all the ice from the recent snow storm.

Sophomore electronic media and broadcasting major Brian Murray posted a photo of his back windshield, which broke while scraping snow and ice Wednesday morning in the Callahan lower parking lot.

“All this snow has been dampening my day,” he said. “I was cleaning off my front windshield and everything was fine. Then I went to clean off the back… heard all the ice shift and thought ‘this is terrible’.”

Chris Cole, director of marketing and communications for NKU, said while NKU officials do not take all social media posts directly into account before making the decision on whether to stay open or not, all the ongoing communication is still a good thing.

“We can share with officials the tone and tenor of what’s out there,” he said referring to the large amount of social media posts about NKU’s decisions to stay open or closed.

“Ten years ago we wouldn’t have had Facebook or Twitter… Now it’s easier to communicate with people and the institution,” Cole said.

Cole also noted that all the new means of communication, including social media, allow easier and faster modes of communication for informing people about possible closures and delays.

“Rather than relying on traditional media to get the word out, we now have Norse Alert, Facebook and Twitter,” Cole said.

Vice President for Administration and Finance Kenneth Ramey recommends the official decision on whether to stay open, delay or close, to NKU President Geoffrey Mearns, according to Cole. Ramey makes his decision for the recommendation under the advice of University Police Chief Jason Willis, Assistant Vice President for Facilities Management Larry Blake and other local officials.

“I think it was a really good idea for NKU to close today due to the ice on top of all this snow,” Murray said regarding NKU’s decision. “This ice is really bad.”

Other opinions expressed on social media can be seen on page five, and by looking up “#CloseNKU” on Twitter.

As of Feb. 5, the National Weather Service is calling for below freezing temperatures throughout the week, with chances for additional snow on Friday and Saturday.

According to service’s records, the area around the university received “Heavy Snow and Significant Ice/Mixed Precipitation” in the past two days.

• Snow takes university by storm

Cheerleading

What it takes to be an NKU Cheerleader

• Snow takes university by storm

Featured Story

DISCONNECTED: How one NKU student gave up social media and found herself

• Snow takes university by storm

Students share their stories at Pride Week Open Mic

• Snow takes university by storm

GALLERY: Students show out for campus Pride March

• Snow takes university by storm

Featured Story

Column: Who will coach Norse MBB? Our picks to replace Brannen

• Snow takes university by storm

Review: Plot of ‘The Public’ eerily familiar for Cincinnati

• Snow takes university by storm

Featured Story

Callahan Bistro making changes following food complaints

• Snow takes university by storm

Featured Story

Cincinnati to snag NKU men’s basketball coach John Brannen

• Snow takes university by storm

Featured Story

Society of Pro Journalists honors Northerner for 2018 report on sexual harassment

• Snow takes university by storm

Featured Story

‘We are people too’: NKU nationally ranked as Military Friendly school

Snow takes university by storm