Filed under Featured Story, News

University career fair draws in opportunities for all majors

Mary McKay, Biological Sciences major, (left) and Adeola Davies, Accounting & Finance major, (right) talk to business people from around the area about jobs at the NKU Career Fair in the Student Union on Tuesday, Sep. 24, 2013.

Gold and black balloons outlined the entrance to this year’s Career Connections, as dozens of professionally dressed students flocked to meet potential employers on Tuesday in the Student Union Ballroom.

Almost 60 businesses set up booths to meet with potential interns, co-ops and employees.

Richard Industries was one company present at the Career Fair, whose key markets include chemical processing, food processing, petrochemical and pharmaceutical.

“We are looking for students who are eager to work for the company voted Best Place to Work in Cincinnati,” said Tina Bowen, inside sales, of Richard Industries.

Bowen also said that Richard Industries has found students for co-ops through several career fairs and job fairs.

Students may believe that career fairs on campus are only for business related majors, but many employers at the career fairs are looking for students in all majors.

Andy Hamon, general manager of Family Video, said that businesses are looking for well-educated people in all majors, and college career fairs are a great place to do it.

Family Video has locations in Erlanger and Cincinnati, and they are currently looking for part-time workers.

One biological science major, Mary McKay, believes she has made connections with potential employers.

“I met a lady at Genomics and convinced her that she needs more biologists,” McKay said.

Coca Cola, Family Video, Education at Work, Great American Insurance and Legion Logistics are examples of a few companies who were looking for students in all fields at this year’s career fair.

The next career fair will be the STEM-NG fair, which is Science-Technology-Engineering-Mathematics and Non-profit/Government. Students will have a chance to meet with possible employers who have internships, co-ops and full-time positions available.

The STEM-NG fair is Oct. 2 from 4-6 p.m. in the Student Union Ballroom, which will have over 50 employers present, according to the Career Services’ website. Various local employers, such as Brighton Center, The Talbert House, Fidelity Investments and The Drake Planetarium and Science Center, will be attending.

Important facts about career fairs from the National Association of Colleges and Employers

• Events like career fairs make up more than half of employers’ recruiting budgets for interns, co-op students and potential employees.
  • Career fairs and on-campus recruiting are rated highest in terms of effectiveness for recruiting potential interns, co-op students and employees.

• University career fair draws in opportunities for all majors

NKU saxophonist paves way for black women in jazz

Norse remain undefeated after win vs. Coastal Carolina

Norse fall to Green Bay in HLVB Championship Finals

Mens Basketball: Five home games to air on Fox Sports Ohio

NKU holds off late rally to win 59-53

Sports

Norse sweep Vikings; advance to HLVB Championship

NKU defeats UNC Ashville in KEMI Northern Kentucky Basketball Classic opener

Norse volleyball survives and advances to HLVC Semifinals

Preview: KEMI Northern Kentucky Basketball Classic

‘Hope in others’: how to talk about thoughts of suicide