Around the University

Acclaimed author to visit campus

The university Honors Program will host the internationally acclaimed author Julia Alvarez on April 25 at 7 p.m. in the Otto Budig Theater. Alvarez has written 19 books for a wide variety of audiences ranging from adults to children. As both a writer and activist, Alvarez has established a global reputation for her work. Alvarez is coming to NKU to discuss her latest work, “A Wedding in Haiti.” For more information or to RSVP for the event, contact Stephanie Churchill at honors@nku.edu or 859-572-1373. The event is open to the public.

Business professor named to Cincy Magazine’s Outstanding Educators List

Rodney D’Souza, a professor at the Haile/US Bank College, has been named to Cincy Magazine’s Outstanding Educators Class of 2013. This list features professors who are among many nominees received from students and colleagues. These professors are nominated based on various factors including spending extra time with students, displaying innovation in the classroom and excellence in academic research. D’Souza is the director of the INKUBATOR, an accelerator that aims to increase the competitive advantage for students by providing applied education, mentoring, financing, facilities and other related resources necessary for a successful startup process. D’Souza’s research interests are in the area of opportunity recognition, new venture teams and new venture investment. D’Souza has been published in various academic journals and presented papers at several national conferences. D’Souza was one of eight professors at NKU who earned this designation.

Student earns first place at neuroscience poster competition

Senior biological sciences major Amy Ashworth was recently recognized for her work in quantifying the levels of different metabolic enzymes in parts of mice brains. Ashworth won first place in the Neuroscience Day Poster Competition, Undergraduate/High School Category. While the enzymes particular to her research are best known for their function in the liver, other research has reported that these enzymes are expressed in the brain as well, although their function has not yet been determined. Ashworth has worked in the laboratory of NKU professor Christine Curran for three years. Ashworth was aided by researchers at the University of  Cincinnati as well as David Thompson of NKU. Ashworth also received first place for Best Undergraduate Poster at the Ohio Valley Society of Toxicology meeting in September 2012 and was one of five students to receive a Pfizer Undergraduate Research Travel Award to the National Society of Toxicology meeting in March.