New Chase law dean announced

NKU announced today Salmon P. Chase College of Law’s new dean appointment. Jeffrey Standen, hailing from Willamette University College of Law in Salem, Ore., will step into the new position July 1, 2013.

At Willamette, Standen served most recently as associate dean for faculty. Since 1990, he also held positions as assistant and associate professors.

NKU conducted a national search to find a replacement for current Chase dean Dennis Honabach, who announced his resignation in Fall 2012. Assoc. Dean for Law Library Services & Information Technology Michael Whiteman led the search and worked with an outside search firm to bring three finalists to campus for visits.

In a press release sent to NKU students, faculty and staff, Provost Gail Wells said, “President Mearns and I are confident that Jeffrey Standen has the experience, vision and demonstrated leadership capacity to be an extraordinary dean who will build upon the strong foundation of excellence in the Chase College of Law.”

Also in the press release, Standen commented, “I very much look forward to working with the faculty, administration and alumni to ensure that our students receive a world-class, practice-ready education that prepares them for every success.”

Before joining the faculty at Willamette, Standen served as Deputy General Counsel for the United States Sentencing Commission and served as law clerk for Hon. Robert F. Chapman, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit.

His focus, according to the press release, is often on sports law and gaming law.