Veterans Day events planned tomorrow, prep for donations

On Friday, NKU will recognize Veteran’s Day with an array of events and campaigns going on on-campus. These events include a flag raising and wreath laying ceremony, veterans recognition luncheon, the static display, and the help fill the boot and care package campaigns.

This year the two campaigns are happening today and started yesterday. They will also be collecting donations Friday in the Student Union during the Veteran’s day events.

The Fill the Boot Campaign provides donations to the Cincinnati International Airport-U.S. Air Lounge. It is intended for military veterans traveling throughout the U.S. to get food while traveling. The Care Package Campaign collects non-perishable items, CDs and DVDs to send to units in Afghanistan.

Last year V.E.T.S. on NKU’s campus was able to send 24 care packages to four different units in Afghanistan and members receiving treatment in Texas. They have been doing the campaigns for two years.

“The need is out there, we still have servicemembers in Afghanistan,” Doug Winford, president of NKU V.E.T.S. and freshman in masters program of executive leadership and organizational change, said. “They don’t have all of the luxuries we have in the U.S. We will continue doing this until there is no longer a need. It lets the service members know we still care about what they’re doing and how they’re serving.

The V.E.T.S. do not have a monetary goal because they want students to feel like they can donate anything and it will make a difference. They send the care packages around the holidays and students can opt to write Christmas cards to those serving.

To begin the events on Friday the Static Display outside of Griffin Hall will begin at 11:00 a.m. and end at 3:00 p.m. The Flag Raising and Wreath Laying Ceremony will take place at the flagpole outside of Founders Hall and will begin at 11:45 a.m. There will also be a Veterans Recognition Luncheon at 12:15 p.m.

For more information please contact Maria Reverman, Veterans Coordinator at veterans@nku.edu. Donations can be made Friday in the Student Union.