Across the University 11/8/2012

Events to honor Veterans Day on Friday
To celebrate Veterans Day, Northern Kentucky University will host events throughout the day on Friday. The flag raising ceremony is from 11:45 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. at the flagpole near Founders Hall and Steely Library. Following the flag raising, there is a luncheon in the Student Union Ballroom until 2 p.m., where there will be a color guard performance. From 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., there will be a static display that includes military vehicles. The display offers the opportunity to see and interact with some of the gear our military services are using. All events are free, but the space at the luncheon is limited. RSVP to Maria Reverman at veterans@nku.edu.

Hurricane Sandy relief efforts, send items through BOKC employee
In an effort to help those who lost homes and belongings in Hurricane Sandy, Director of Food and Beverage at the Bank of Kentucky Center Nicky Hines is collecting items to send to Amityville, N.Y., her hometown. She will be sending out boxes over the weekend, so take items to her by Friday. Contact Hines for more information about necessary items at nichola.hines@compass-usa.com.

The search for Parent of the Year is on
The Office of New Student Orientation and Parent Programs are on the search for a parent/guardian or caregiver that has made a significant influence on his or her student’s life. Nomination forms are due by Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:59 p.m. The winning parent must be present at the Homecoming basketball game Jan. 26 to accept the award. For more information visit http://orientation.nku.edu/parent/.

Flu and pertussis vaccines available on campus
The Northern Kentucky University Health, Counseling and Prevention Services offers the flu and pertussis vaccines to the university community. Most insurance companies cover the cost without a co-pay, but uninsured patients can get the traditional flu vaccine for $20. Visit University Center 440 Monday through Friday between 8:30 a.m. and 4 p.m. to get the vaccines. No appointments necessary.

Survey on homeless community available
Honors student Jena Bradley is sending out an anonymous survey as part of her capstone project. The survey delves into the perception of the homeless community in the surrounding campus areas. Contact Bradley at bradleyj1@nku.edu for more information. The survey can be found at http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Z5TW2F9.