Across the university 10/4/2012

NBGSA conference registration now open, free
Registration for the National Black Graduate Student Association’s southeast regional conference on Oct. 19-21 is now open. “Perpetuating the Scholastic Cycle” will focus on knowledge, audacity and fundamental tools that empower students and professionals of the African American community. For more information, contact Jyreika Guest. NKU students are free to attend but must register at guestj2@nku.edu.

Student philanthropy report released
The Scripps Howard Center for Civic Engagement recently released the 2011-2012 annual report of the Mayerson Student Philanthropy Project. Last year, Northern Kentucky University had 15 student philanthropy classes involving 287 students who awarded over $27,000 directly to 23 nonprofits. Request a copy by email at engage@nku.edu.

Professor research to be placed in FEMA archives
The Federal Emergency Management Agency requested a copy of Northern Kentucky University professor Thomas Lambert’s research “Ex-Urban Sprawl and Fire Response in the United States,” for its library and archives. The research found a link between urban and suburban development and the probability of homes in such areas suffering from fire hazards and delayed fire department response. The paper will be published in the December issue of The Journal of Economic Issues.

NKU filmmaker begins work on documentary
Northern Kentucky University professor and artist-in-residence Rachel Lyon began production of “Tulsa: Hate Crime Capital?,” a documentary that will explore a relationship between current violent hate crimes in today’s media and a long-term cover-up of hate crimes. The film will focus on three survivors, two from recent hate crimes, Deon Tucker and David Hall, as well as Wes Young (now 95), a survivor of the Tulsa Riot in 1921. Lyon said in a NKU press release that she hopes to have the film complete by summer 2013. A 10-minute trailer is available at http://vimeo.com/47122092.