Spring honors class schedule released

Upcoming classes that are filled with superheroes, zoo visits, rock documentaries, a trip to Barbados and so much more means an exciting spring semester for the Northern Kentucky University Honors Program.
The Pink Book, containing the course list for the coming semester, was released on Sept. 19 and handed out at the Honors House along with pink refreshments and cookies. Students had the opportunity to look over classes, and talk to the professors about any questions they had.

Professor Kristin Hornsby, who will be teaching Dystopia, Who Are We? and Musicals, said she chooses topics she is passionate about and hopes others will be too.
“Anything Ali Godel or Kristin Hornsby are teaching. That’s what I’m looking forward to,” Chanell Karr, a junior public relations major, said.

Considering such a wide variety of classes are being offered, the opportunities are endless as an Honors student. From general education English, anthropology, biology, politics, theatre and communication courses to classes such as Melville and the Arts, Insight and Impact, Mysticism and Apocalyptic Visions in Postmodern Culture and America’s Parklands, students are sure to get a unique learning experience.
“All of the people working here come from different backgrounds, and all of the students in the classes come from different backgrounds, so you get a whole variety of viewpoints and you can learn so much more,” Hornsby said.

Freshman psychology and theatre major Amanda Peace said her favorite part about the classes are the discussions and the chance to get to know people better.
Leaving students with a word of advice, Hornsby said, “You get out of it what you put into it.”

Monthly events keep students involved and constantly able to make new connections within the Honors community. The program kicked off the year with their annual picnic, featuring special guests including President Geoff Mearns and Provost Gail Wells, who provided encouraging words to those in attendance.

Peer mentors threw a fiesta-themed party on Sept. 12 and have plans underway for a Halloween party in October, as well as many more events throughout this semester and next.

Students have over 30 courses to choose from. An added benefit of being accepted into the program is super priority registration. Further questions about the upcoming honors classes can be addressed at a second Pink Book Event on Oct. 3 from noon-1 p.m., where faculty and staff will be available for additional assistance.
Anyone who is interested in becoming part of the program can apply at honors.nku.edu.