College Dems. advocate at state level

In light of a controversial presidential election, the College Democrats student organization at Northern Kentucky University has positioned its involvement in state and city politics.

“Everyone wants to see results and know that what they are doing matters,” President Chaz Edwards said. “Working at the state and city level gives us direct access to our state and city representatives.”

This year College Democrats has been planning to work with the re-election campaign for state Rep. Dennis Keene. According to Keene, he’s committed to keeping cities and neighborhoods safe, promoting economic development and job growth, providing for good schools and creating a health care system others can count on and be proud of.
“Our members are able to get personally invested in our mission, which makes it a more rewarding experience,” Edwards said.

College Democrats is also involved with the “Obama for America” re-election campaign in the state of Ohio. Members have been involved with the local Kentucky campaign efforts and have participated in various fundraisers.

The organization’s mission is to get students politically involved and Democratic candidates elected. Members have participated in community outreach programs in Campbell and Kenton counties.

“There’s a negative climate around the topic of politics and people in our generation are affected by that,” Edwards said. “As a whole, our student body is not politically aware and we want to change that.”

College Democrats will be hosting a voter registration drive for NKU students before the November election. Last year, the organization was able to register over 200 students in eight months.

“These efforts are helping,” Edwards said. “We’re able to see the difference we are making.”
College Democrats will be collaborating with Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Oct. 11 for a presidential debate, hoping to educate the student body on the issues discussed during this election.

College Democrats accepts new members throughout the year. The organization meets every Wednesday at 3 p.m. in room 108 of the Student Union. For more information contact edwardsc6@nku.edu.