Across the University 9/20/2012

History honor society wins best chapter award again
Northern Kentucky University’s Phi Alpha Theta History Honor Society recently received the organization’s Best Chapter Award. Phi Alpha Theta has received the award 20 times in the past 21 years. To promote student interest and love of history, the organization offers a number of prizes and awards for members. The society gives its Best Chapter Award based on student activities, community service and participation in local and national Phi Alpha Theta events.

New partnership with emergency alert system
Northern Kentucky University recently partnered with a new emergency notification system to offer more features on the Norse Alert system. First Call Emergency Notification will allow voice and text messages to be delivered more quickly and with fewer call failures. First Call uses a cloud infrastructure with data centers in five states, which allows messages to be delivered quickly even during high call volumes. Norse Alert is the system the university uses to notify the NKU community of criminal, medical, weather-related and other campus emergencies. Norse Alert is open to anyone with a NKU username. Online registration is available at http://norsealert.nku.edu.

LEAD conference registration deadline extended
The Young Women LEAD annual conference registration deadline has been extended to Sept. 21. Registration and admission are free and open to high school women in the Northern Kentucky/Cincinnati region. The event will feature Olympic gold medalist Dominique Dawes and award-winning national speaker, author and role model Julie Marie Carrier as keynote speakers. Visit http://www.youngwomenlead.com/CINCINNATI/ for more information or to register.

ExploreMore! program accepting applications
The Northern Kentucky University Institute for Talent Development and Gifted Studies is accepting applications for the fall 2012 ExploreMore! Enrichment Program through Friday, Oct. 12. Registration is available online at http://gifted.nku.edu or by calling (859) 572-5600. Geared toward students in grades K-8, the ExploreMore! program offers enrichment courses. Students will have the opportunity to select an interactive, hands-on course that matches their interests and abilities.

Informational breakfast for community and NKU
The Scripps Howard Center for Civic Engagement is hosting a Get Engaged at NKU! Breakfast Sept. 27 at 8 a.m. in the Student Union. The breakfast, Spotlight on Steely Library, will spotlight the library and the resources available to students to help work as a nonprofit leader. John Schlipp, intellectual property librarian, Laura Sullivan, grants coordinator and Philip Yannarella, government documents librarian will be there to answer questions. RSVP and contact Collette Thompson (859) 572-7847 or thompsonc7@nku.edu.