Across the University 9/6/2012

STEM grant leads to new student program

Northern Kentucky University recently received a $600,000 grant to establish a program that will recruit, retain and graduate “financially needy, academically talented students” in the STEM discipline. The National Science Foundation Scholarships in STEM grant will contribute to Project SOAR. The key elements of the program will include faculty mentors, a year-long freshman seminar; STEM learning and living communities, opportunities for research, internships and co-ops, entrepreneurship training and academic support services.

Fan photo contest winner takes home season tickets

Northern Kentucky University Athletics announced the winners of the first #NorseNation fan photo contest. The first place winner, Tom Ratterman, received the most Facebook likes for his Norse-based photo and a pair of 2012-2013 basketball season tickets. The top ten winners will receive gift certificates for NKU spirit gear. To see the winning photos, visit www.Facebook.com/nkunorse.

Co-op search workshop today

Northern Kentucky University offers students the opportunity to co-op and intern through Norse Recruiting. The Career Development Center is hosting a workshop, Co-Op Search Strategies, today at 4:45 p.m. in Student Union room 105. Students can also search more job opportunities through Norse Recruiting’s site: www.myinterfase.com/nku/student.

Freshmen service retreat scheduled

The Freshman Service Leadership is taking an annual retreat to Cedar Ridge Camp in Louisville, Ky. The retreat is Sept. 21-22. The event is limited to 40 freshmen and is a competitive program, according to an N3 announcement. The fee to attend the retreat is $50. Apply online at www.orgsync.com/20958/forms/50211.

New director for SBDC announced

The Northern Kentucky University Small Business Development Center announced Rebecca Volpe as its new director. As director, Volpe, a Michigan native, will manage the center and provide consulting services, seminars and workshops to assist entrepreneurs and existing businesses. The Small Business Development Center provides seminars and no-cost, one-on-one business consultation to small business owners in Boone, Campbell, Kenton, Gallatin, Grant and Pendleton counties.