Sport Shorts 8/30/2012

Men’s Soccer

The Northern Kentucky University men’s soccer team traveled to Wisconsin to begin the season, playing two games. NKU played Wisconsin-Green Bay on Aug. 24, losing 1-0. The Norse led in shots 11-7 despite playing a man down from the 27th minute on after freshman midfielder/defender Gavin Colton received a straight red card. Green Bay scored the only goal of the game in the 52nd minute. NKU concluded the opening weekend playing against Wisconsin-Milwaukee on Aug. 26, losing 2-1. Junior forward Mohammad Salhieh opened the scoring in the 14th minute giving NKU the lead, but Milwaukee scored goals in the 59th and 76th minutes to win the contest.

Women’s Soccer

The Northern Kentucky University women’s soccer team traveled to Muncie, Ind. playing two games in the Ball State Tournament. NKU played Ball State on Aug. 24 and Western Kentucky University on Aug. 26, losing both games 2-1. Against Ball State, all the scoring took place in the second half. Ball State scored in the 66th and 68th minutes to take control of the game. Junior forward/midfielder Megan Frye scored in the 85th minute for the Norse to cut the lead into half. Against Western Kentucky, NKU fell behind early as the Hilltoppers scored in the 6th minute and extended the lead by scoring in the 71st minute. Senior midfielder Hannah Adams scored in the 89th minute for the Norse.

Volleyball

The Northern Kentucky University volleyball team is off to a 4-0 start to begin the season. The Norse played three games in the Western Carolina Invitational held in Cullowhee, N.C. NKU defeated Saint Peter’s in straight sets, (25-9, 25-9, 25-11), and host Western Carolina in four sets, (25-20, 33-35, 25-19, 25-12), on Aug. 24. On the next day, the Norse defeated North Carolina A&T in four sets (25-15, 22-25, 25-12, 25-19). NKU played Wright State on Aug. 28 in Dayton, Ohio and won in straight sets, (25-19, 30-28, 25-22).