Bookstore upgrades to Barnes and Noble

Tara Derington, Staff Writer

A few changes on Northern Kentucky University’s campus awaited students as the first day of classes started on Monday including a renovated bookstore. The on-campus bookstore signed a five-year contract with Barnes and Noble College over the summer. Andy Meeks, director of Business Operations and Auxiliary Services detailed the switch from Follett to Barnes and Noble.
According to Meeks, Follett’s contract was ending so following the regulations of the Commonwealth of Kentucky, interviews were held by a committee made up of Student Government Association representatives, staff congress and faculty representatives. The committee chose the Barnes and Noble offer based on its programming, service and financial perks.
“They have an upgraded adopted book program allowing professors to choose class reading materials faster and cheaper for students,” Meeks said.
The contract will lead to minor renovations in the store itself, creating a customer friendly layout for the growing student body and more merchandise. Meeks said, with the renovations, a line of laptop computers that would be available to purchase is in the works for the future. The Barnes and Noble e-reader, the Nook, can already be purchased in the store.
Emily Conley, director of the NKU Barnes and Noble branch, who has worked for Barnes and Noble for 11 years, mentioned several perks of the switchover.
“Gift cards can be purchased in our store or in other locations and can be used towards items or textbooks.”
“The idea of having a gift card to purchase NKU gear and books will definitely bring in more people. I know what I will be asking for at Christmas,” said Justin Bezold, a sophomore accounting major.
A few other highlights include an upgraded and larger selection of apparel and souvenirs, Norse helmets and a guaranteed price-matching program to match any low offer students find elsewhere. Meeks said, “The contract with Barnes & Noble offers a great plan for programming, service and financial development for NKU.”

• Bookstore upgrades to Barnes and Noble

‘You have to be better than this, NKU:’ students react to investigation of Chase dean

Investigation docs show Chase dean’s office a “toxic” work environment

#NorseNotebook Loyalty makes NKU senior class stand out

After harassment complaints, Chase Dean resigned in December, could return as professor in fall

50th-anniversary-package

Editor’s Chat: Kevin Schultz

Six@Six lecture series: Art as Rx

Norse earn victory over Youngstown State on senior night

REVIEW: Black Panther

Crime

Pot arrests rise at NKU, but does the punishment fit the crime?

NKU ecological stewards to make historic Newport green

Bookstore upgrades to Barnes and Noble