Across the University 8/23/2012

Student financial assistance moved temporarily
The Office of Student Financial Assistance customer service area will be temporarily operating from Student Union room 324 from Aug. 13-31 in order to accommodate high traffic volumes during the beginning of the fall semester. The office will be open Monday-Thursday from 8:15 a.m. – 6 p.m. and on Fridays 8:15 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Contact 859-572-5143 or ofa@nku.edu with questions.

2012 outstanding professor named
Northern Kentucky University mathematics and statistics professor Chris Christensen was recently awarded the Frank Sinton Milburn Outstanding Professor award. Christensen is an award-winning teacher who continues to find new ways to “teach through problems” in calculus and cryptology after 28 years in the classroom at NKU. Off campus, Christensen also collaborated with University of Cincinnati on a $150,000 National Science Foundation grant to conduct a Summer Research Experience for Undergraduates in Cryptology for three summers. Through the program, he mentored students from around the world in cryptology research projects.

New online database available
The university’s IT Department recently launched a new online knowledge base called AskIT. AskIT includes answers to technology-related questions. It is designed to be continually growing into a go-to for users who want to learn about and resolve their own technology-related issues. AskIT is available for use 24-7 and can be accessed through any web browser at http://askit.nku.edu, with NKU username and password to login. The knowledge base articles are categorized by topic and audience, such as student, faculty or staff.

Wellness Center offering massage deals
Students, faculty and staff can schedule massage appointments at discounted rates with massage therapist Fran Hasekoester. The Northern Kentucky University community can get a 15-minute massage for $10, 30 minutes for $20 or 50 minutes for $30. A package of three massages for $105 is also available. The package special is available throughout the entire fall semester. For more details, call Hasekoester at 859-393-7208. Massage details at http://wellness.nku.edu/massage.html.

Master’s program gains high status
Northern Kentucky University’s master of Publication Administration program has been reaccredited for seven more years by the National Association of Schools of Public Affairs and Administration (NASPAA). NASPAA accreditation is a voluntary peer review process for programs in the field of public administration, public policy and public affairs. Accredited programs are determined to be in compliance with the standards set forth by the field. The seven-year reaccreditation is the longest available term under the NASPAA. The program will file annual reports through 2019 that provide evidence of ongoing conformity to NASPAA standards and continued improvement.