Campus parking lot construction update

UPDATED 8/20/2012 at 12:35 p.m.

All of the construction due to the sink hole in Parking Lot M will cost Northern Kentucky University $700,000, according to Assistant Vice President of NKU Facilities Management Larry Blake. There are still about 10 days left of work which involved connecting new storm sewer lines and pouring concrete in the old lines. Lot M will still have limited parking but Kenton Drive was opened in time for the state of classes.

Traffic on the Northern Kentucky University campus will be slowed down due to construction in Parking Lot M, which has caused a section of Kenton Drive to shut down, because a storm sewer collapsed in June causing a sinkhole to form in the lot.

Because of the shut down a detour has been set up that goes behind parking lots M, P, Y, L and eventually getting back onto Kenton through lot K.

The detour has been in place since Aug. 11 but Kenton should open back up Wednesday, according to Larry Blake, the assistant vice president of NKU Facilities Management.

With classes starting Aug. 20, students shouldn’t worry about a parking lot being closed.

“Hopefully we will have most of the work done by Friday,” Blake said. “There might be a few spaces offline but the lot will be open.”