University honors recently passed professor

Northern Kentucky University chemistry professor Heather Bullen passed away July 11. Bullen was 35 years old and died after a year and half battle with colon cancer. She is survived by her husband, and fellow NKU professor, Brad Sieve and her 2-year-old son Vonn.

Bullen was an associate professor in chemistry, and began her career at NKU in 2004. While at NKU she gained popularity with students and fellow faculty members with her “optimistic attitude, focus and determination,” her brother Bob wrote in an obituary. Bullen also received over $3 million in grants throughout her teaching career to help science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) programs.

“Heather was an inspiration to all who encountered her,” Bullen’s brother continued.

Despite her battle with cancer, Bullen “continued her investment in her department and the lives of her students,” Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences Sam Zachary said.

NKU Vice President Gail Wells said in a statement, “She will be long remembered for her dedication to students and undergraduate research … her life has been an inspiration to all of us and we will miss her greatly.”

There will be a memorial service this Sunday, July 15, from 1-4 p.m. in the Griffin Hall Digitorium. Instead of flowers, donations are being asked to be given to the Heather Bullen Scholarship Fund at the Department of Chemistry, Natural Science Center 204F, Highland Heights, KY 41099.

If you go:
What: Memorial service for Heather Bullen
When: 1-4 p.m., Sunday
Where: Griffin Hall Digitorium
Details: Donations to Heather Bullen Scholarship Fund at the Department of Chemistry, Natural Science Center 204F, Highland Heights, KY 41099.