Event offers insight on region’s history

Regional History Day began at Northern Kentucky University 19 years ago when then-President Frank Steely, outside organizations and amateur historians came together. Now there are 32 organizations present, focusing for the most part on Northern Kentucky’s past.
“We try to include information about Cincinnati and towns across the river,” history professor Andrea Watkins said. “But for the most part, the information is on Northern Kentucky.”
Regional History Day is held by NKU and the history department with the goal of educating students, residents of Northern Kentucky and history buffs about the heritage and antiquity of Northern Kentucky. Thirteen counties are represented by historical societies and heritage groups at the event, as well. This year’s event was held March 17 with much success.
Along with NKU and the various organizations present at Regional History Day, members of Phi Alpha Theta, NKU’s International Honors Society Chapter in History, and history student volunteers help direct attendees at the event.
Eight members representing NKU and local museums and organizations decide on the topics to incorporate in the event each year. Watkins stated that the members always make room for genealogy, Kentucky in the Civil War and landmarks. These are the three most popular topics though other topics like battles in Northern Kentucky, music roots and important people are also covered at Regional History Day.
For this year’s event, NKU advertised more and have always offered free admission to students of the university.
“We’re really excited this year, because we’ve had the most pre-registrations compared to previous years as well as organizations attending,” Watkins said.