Senate seeks parking changes based on complaint

The university’s Student Government Association is moving forward this semester with a new resolution created directly from a student’s complaint, more transitions in membership, and a final approval on a resolution four years in the making.

The temporary parking resolution asks the university to look into the “feasibility” of issuing temporary parking passes. SGA’s resolution to explore the option of better temporary parking services on campus was created after a student spoke at the organization’s Jan. 23 meeting.

SGA said the resolution is important because many NKU students rely on financial aid reimbursements to pay for parking passes, but that money is not issued before the semester begins. Because of this, students are forced to park in garages for an increased cost or in the lots, running the risk of getting citations.

The resolution said the option for “Parking Services not to cite vehicles parked in designated open parking during the first weeks of school, up until the allocation of financial aid, would greatly decrease the cost to students to park on campus during this time.”

SGA also unanimously passed the upper division housing resolution. The upper division housing resolution asks the university to consider the option of genderblind housing, the allowance of alcohol and the ability to customize rooms for 21-year-old students with 60 or more credit hours.

In addition to new resolutions, the spring election packets will be available Feb. 22. Students can run for President, Vice President, Secretary of Public Relations, Secretary of Student Involvement, Secretary of Administration, as well as senate and judicial council seats.

The election packets will be available in the SGA office, Student Union room 330, starting at noon Feb. 22 and must be returned to the Dean of Students office by March 19.
Spring elections are March 28-29.

Senator Holdan Markland also resigned from his position as Finance Committee Chair at the Feb. 20 meeting. He said he had to step down because of a required class that conflicted with the final minutes of each meeting.

Markland said he will continue the semester as a senator.

Finally, President Dustin Robinson announced that the faculty senate passed a midterm resolution that has seen three years of denial until now. The resolution makes it optional for professors to post midterm grades for all students, instead of freshmen only.

Previously, faculty did not have the option to post midterm grades if the student was in a grade above freshmen.