Steely considers cafe for 24-hour lab

Northern Kentucky University’s Steely Caffe may soon be a 24-hour lab with different food options.
To try to better meet the needs of students, the W. Frank Steely Library’s hours were extended to 2 a.m. during the week leading up to final exams for the 2011 fall semester. The library usually closes at midnight on weeknights.

According to Associate Provost of Library Services Arne Almquist, the extension will be repeated preceding finals week this semester.
Senior English creative writing major Kaitlin Mills was one student who took advantage of the extended hours. Mills, who said she goes to the library every day she has classes, uses the library mainly for computer access.

The first step to creating a 24-hour computer lab is creating a restroom, and Almquist said a request has been put in with the university to create a 24-hour unisex restroom to Steely Caffe.

Almquist could not provide an estimate of the cost of installing the restroom. However, he said that it would be “fairly expensive.”
For students like Mills, the cost would be worth the investment.

“I have stayed in [the Math/Education/Psychology Center] all night before,” Mills said.

Sophomore history major Jon Eizyk also said he would use Steely Caffe services overnight if the area were open.
“I work second shift; I get off around 11,” Eizyk said. “If I don’t have anything to do, I would come here.”
However, not all students who use the library regularly would take advantage of 24-hour services.

“I usually come here around 11 [a.m.] or sometimes 10,” said sophomore philosophy major Brock Larkins.

Both Larkins and freshman nursing major Seulgi Lee said they study in Steely Caffe every day, but they said they would not come to the library at any other times than when they already do.

With the potential renovations to Steely Caffe, comes the possibility changes for the food service in Steely Caffe.
Director of Business Operations and Auxiliary Services Andy Meeks is working with NKU’s food service partner, Chartwells, about updating food services in Steely Caffe.
Meeks, who said he is on board with the upgrade, stressed that no decisions have been made, but he the renovations would make the food services a more permanent fixture in the café. The food selection and the food service hours, however, would not likely be affected.
According to Almquist, one of the potential changes would be to replace old furniture in Steely Caffe. Almquist said the changes were originally being discussed for winter term, but they have been pushed back to summer.