Foggy windows to blame in collision

Foggy windows were again to blame in the Nov. 29 collision between a vehicle and a pedestrian on Kenton Drive, according to the police report. It is the second time pedestrians have been struck this semester, with unclear windows contributing to each instance, according to reports from both accidents.

According to University Police, Megan Brauer’s car struck Eddie McSurley around 8:45 p.m. Nov. 29 on Kenton Drive between Griffin Hall and Kenton Garage.

Brauer said the heat in her car wasn’t working, so her windows were not clear, according to the police report. It had previously been raining and snowing. McSurley’s friend Daniel Shelton was also crossing the street at the time.

Shelton told police he and McSurley were leaving Lot A and walking toward Griffin Hall when Shelton said he noticed the approaching car not slowing down. He was able to jump out of the way before being struck, according to the report.

Joshua Dendinger was in the car with Brauer when the collision occurred. Dendinger told reporters he was talking on the phone when he heard a crash. When he looked up, he told police he saw McSurley rolling off the hood of the vehicle.

After the accident, McSurley responded to paramedics and was seen moving his arms and legs. He was transported to St. Elizabeth Hospital in Fort Thomas where he was treated and released within hours.

The silver Chrysler sedan had visible damage to the windshield.

The driver's windshield showed visible damage after the collision.
Brauer refused comment at the collision scene.

This is the second instance where a pedestrian was struck by a vehicle this semester.

In the last instance, two students were struck while crossing Kenton Drive heading towards University Housing Oct. 19, according to University police.

Witnesses of the Oct. 19 accident said that one of the victims was struck so hard her tied-on gym shoes were knocked off and she was thrown about 20 feet upon impact.

The injuries weren’t life threatening, however one victim suffered a broken leg.

At the time of the collision in October, NKU Chief of Police Jason Willis said, “We are evaluating the lighting at crosswalks all over campus. We are always looking for new ideas to provide a safer environment for our community.”