Repeat, repeat, this is only a test

When the university’s emergency alert system starts going off at 2 p.m. Nov. 9, don’t be alarmed. It’s only a drill.

As part of the first-ever nationwide test of the emergency alert system, Northern Kentucky University will test its campus sirens, recorded voice systems and fire alarms.

Anyone on campus or in areas immediately surrounding the campus will hear the noise, which is expected to last about 30 seconds.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has partnered with the Federal Communications Commission and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration in and effort to find out if emergency alert systems can send out a national notification if the need arises.
According to a release on FEMA’s website, the first step is testing existing alert systems.

It says a more effective emergency alert system “requires continual testing to identify necessary improvements.

The next step will be developing ways to integrate new technologies to create easier access to emergency notifications.

The groups participating in the test include broadcasters, satellite and digital radio and television, cable television and wireline video providers.

The Department of Homeland Security, FEMA, the FCC, the NOAA and the National Weather Service will be working together to conduct the test.