Presidential Search

The search for a new Northern Kentucky University president continues as the committee named the executive search firm Issacson, Miller Oct. 19 to help solicit candidates for the job. Now that the firm has been announced, the committee and search consultants will be holding forums with the community and the university to help form the job description for potential applicants.

Chair of the Presidential Search and Screening Committee Martin Butler said there is “a lot to do in a short time,” but the committee is on schedule to meet the March deadline outlined in their tentative time frame.

Issacson, Miller was chosen based heavily on recommendations from many of the firm’s previous employers, according to Butler. In previous cases with comparable universities Issacson, Miller has consulted universities with similar goals as NKU.

The forums begin Oct. 26 with NKU department chairs, faculty, the management team and the community. On Oct. 27 the committee and search firm consultants will meet again with staff and the community, as well as hold the only student forum.

The committee decided to hold one forum for students at the discretion of the search firm, who said that in previous experiences, student forums do not have a good turnout, according to Butler. He also said the committee will try to arrange another forum for students if it is necessary.
To finish the forums, the committee will meet with the Cincinnati business community, members of the NKU management team and again with staff on Oct. 28.

According to an email sent to NKU students by Chris Cole, NKU director of marketing, the committee will be asking for input on objectives for the new president, qualifications and experience, personal qualities, and source and candidate recommendations.

Butler said the committee wants to hear from people about any concerns they have, as well as any areas where the university needs to grow and where it needs to pull back. After the forums are completed, the committee and consultants will form the job description for a new president and then begin accepting applications. Butler is “optimistic that we’re going to have a lot of good candidates.”
NKU and the community members are encouraged to submit their own candidate recommendations electronically. Issacson, Miller has posted a submission form to fill out and return via email.
To access the submission form, visit http://presidentialsearch.nku.edu/searchfirm.php.
The committee will begin accepting applications in November and continue until the end of December, according to the tentative timeline.