Griffin Hall leaves students hungry for more dining options

Griffin Hall. It is new, it is awesome, it is fully equipped, it is a great addition to Northern Kentucky University. But, as with most new things, Griffin Hall is missing something that students and faculty have been noticing — a lack of food options.

Many students have assumed the open area near the Digitorum would be a café. However, that will only be for temporary use for events.

“There are no plans to add any permanent dining options within Griffin Hall,” said Rob Knarr, senior project manager/associate director of Architecture, Design and Construction Management.

Knarr said the closeness of Griffin to the Student Union played a big part in why there were no permanent dining options, but Informatics students who spend their days in the building aren’t happy with the decision to leave out more options.

There are a number of students who do not have breaks throughout the day. “I think it’s pretty ridiculous,” said Micha Finnie, a senior public relations major. “It seems like they tried too hard to get (Griffin Hall) open for classes without planning for how it would actually work out in operation.”

Although, for students who just want a vending machine snack, there are four located in a hallway behind the stairs on the first floor.

“It would be cool to have a microwave or mini fridge available,” said Teressa Caldwell, a senior journalism major.

The idea of appliances for students has been proposed to Interim Dean of the College of Informatics, Kevin Kirby, who is interested in hearing more about the idea of adding microwaves to make it easier for students.

If you would like to voice your opinion on dining within Griffin Hall, visit https://www.thenortherner.com to voice your opinion.
Your suggestions will be taken to next week’s meeting with Kirby.