Find-It! resolution haunts SGA

Correction: This story erroneously listed Mikey Adkins as the University Improvements Chair. He is the Student Rights Committee Chair.

The Student Government Association announced the upcoming elections for four open senate positions at the Aug. 29 meeting. With senate elections, SGA also passed the second reading of the midterm grade policy resolution and passed another first reading of the opt-in to Find-It! resolution that should have been signed in spring 2011.

The four senate seats that need filled were left vacant by previous senators who had to leave for personal reasons, according to SGA President Dustin Robinson.

Applications are available in the SGA office in Student Union 330 and online on SGA’s OrgSync page.

Potential candidates must submit an application electronically or in person by Sept. 9.

The midterm grade policy resolution, presented by Student Rights Committee Chair Mikey Adkins, unanimously passed with little revision in its second reading.

Adkins and Robinson will be presenting the resolution to the Faculty Senate Sept. 1.

Since its first reading, the resolution was changed to include 100-300 level classes. Adkins said this revision came from many upper-level classes being final-project based, in which case midterm grades would not be feasible.

SGA members also restarted the process for the opt-in to Find-It! resolution, which passed last spring but went on to be misplaced or unsigned, according to Robinson. This resolution would give students the choice to opt-in to being included in Find-It!, NKU’s online directory of student, faculty and staff contact information. Currently, all students are automatically listed in the directory unless they opt out.

Although the new resolution is identical to the previous one, SGA must go through the resolution process as a technicality, Robinson said. In any case, the resolution was passed in its first reading, with no revisions.

NKU athletic director Scott Eaton attended the meeting to answer any questions SGA members had about moving into a Division I conference. Eaton answered questions about which potential conference is the most promising.

Eaton said that two of the four possible conferences have been positive, but did not name which two. Currently, NKU is looking into the Atlantic Sun Conference, Horizon League, Ohio Valley Conference and Summit League as potential conferences to be invited into.

Finally, Robinson and the executive board confirmed and appointed Danielle Hawks to legislative liaison.