Bad Veins go retro

Cincinnati band Bad Veins returned to the city Saturday to shoot a music video at WCET-TV studio, for their song “Dancing on TV” from their recently completed second album.

The new album, yet to be released, is a departure from the sound of the band’s self-titled debut album, according to singer/guitarist/keyboardist Benjamin Davis. Bad Veins has previously been described in their band bio as having a sound similar to The Killers and The Walkmen. However, Davis and Bad Veins drummer Sebastien Schultz would not give details about the change in direction.

“We’re really hoping everyone likes it,” Davis said. “We want to let the listener explore the new direction to make up their mind what they think.”

For the “Dancing on TV” music video, Bad Veins invited friends and fans to dance as though they were on a 1973 television show. Schultz said the concept stemmed from a conversation about an episode of “The Cosby Show,” which came up during the recording of the album. Davis and Schultz chose 1973 as the setting in honor of the unofficial third member of the band — their reel-to-reel tape recorder, Irene.

Individuals who wished to be in the video were asked to wear typical 1970s clothing such as short dresses, platform shoes and bell-bottoms. Clothing was made available from vintage clothing stores Chicken Lays an Egg and Casablanca Vintage of Northside, Ohio, for those who did not have era-appropriate clothes.

Although the video shoot was supposed to end at 8 p.m., according to the Facebook page for the event, people were dancing into the night until filming wrapped at 10 p.m.

Northern Kentucky University sophomore jazz performance major Jack Nuttall took part in the video. “It was kind of tiresome — we were doing the same stuff over and over again; we had to do a lot of takes.”

According to Nuttall, people were coming and going throughout the day; but about 30 to 40 people came to dance in the video, including some of the Cincinnati Rollergirls.

Dance instructor Ashley Gentry came to the studio to be in the video, as well as to help with dance scenes. Gentry is an instructor at The Dance Center, a dance studio in Northern Kentucky that teaches various dance styles including ballet, lyrical, tap and jazz.

Aside from the music video for “Dancing on TV,” Bad Veins will be shooting videos for other songs on the new album. The band is also working on plans for the release of the album and subsequent live shows.

“I can’t wait for the video to come out,” Nuttall said. “It’s a pretty catchy song.”

For more information about Bad Veins or to listen to their music, go to http://badveins.net/ or check them out on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/#!/badveins.