Prof. brought fun to accounting

She taught accounting to a rock-n-roll beat. She helped raise money for high school drum corps and winter guard. And, in place of a mortarboard cap, she always wore a sequined beret to the commencement ceremonies.

“Scottie was beautiful because she embraced life fully,” said Daniel W. Kent, director of the Human Resources Management Program in the Haile/US Bank College of Business. “Her zest for living was complete and contagious; her capacity for joy knew no boundaries. Where Scottie was, fun followed.”

Glynellen “Scottie” Barty died Feb. 1 at University Hospital due to complications from a stroke suffered Jan. 30. She had been a professor in the Haile/US Bank College of Business for nearly 30 years and was also a former Faculty Senate member. Barty taught accounting and law classes.

For some students, accounting can be a difficult subject to learn, but Kent said Barty livened up her classroom by using music to teach accounting principles.

“She showed me how she taught the Accounting equation to a Bo Diddley beat,” Ken said. “As I rapped out the ‘bump-bump-bump bump-bump’ on the table, Scottie chanted: ‘Assets minus liabilities equals owner’s equity.’”

The bottom line for Barty was to make sure her students had every opportunity to do their best.

“No one else would’ve thought to lively-up Accounting by marrying it to rock & roll – only Scottie,” Kent said. “She probably belongs in both the Accounting and the Rock & Roll Halls of Fame.”

Barty was known among her colleagues for her kind heart and good nature.

“She was fun,” said Margaret Myers, interim dean of the college of business. “She was cool. She cared about her students, in and out of the classroom.”

A memorial service was held on campus for Barty Feb. 13, but another memorial is scheduled to be held in Dayton, Ohio in April. The final date has not been set.

A scholarship for accounting students has been set up in Barty’s name. Anyone interested in donating a memorial to Barty can do so to the NKU Foundation in 221 Lucas Administration Center or the Pride Youth Development Foundation, c/o Charles Gumbert, in Cincinnati.

Story by Cassie Stone