Lt. Dan Choi attempting to re-enlist

BREAKING NEWS:
Less than a month after speaking at Northern Kentucky University, Lt. Dan Choi, who was honorably discharged under the Army’s “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy because he publicly admitted to being gay, says he is attempting to re-enlist in the United States Army. His action comes after today’s Pentagon announcement that military recruiters may begin accepting openly gay recruits. A court ruled that the military must not enforce the policy.

According to his Twitter account, Choi attempted to enlist in the United States Marines earlier today, but was rejected due to his age. He has alternatively applied to the United States Army and is waiting to be processed.

During his visit to NKU, Choi gave the military’s policy substantial scrutiny.

The worst thing about “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell,” according to Choi, is the idea that he could have returned to the battlefield not being able to kiss the person he loved on the tarmac as he left for war with the fear that if he died or was injured in battle, no one would go to tell his “number-one supporter.”

Choi said he has heard all the arguments as to why the policy should be in place. One student asked him whether he thought the policy protected people who are gay from bias-motivated crime.

“It’s a leadership issue,” Choi said, adding that there are openly gay people in the military now and that dangers are not any more pressing in the military as they are in everyday life. However, the military does present a stronger set of expectations and a code which the armed forces must follow. Choi said to alleviate the problem, President Barack Obama should say that such hatred must end now.

See what Choi had to say during his visit to NKU earlier this month: http://www.youtube.com/thenorthernernku.

Story by Jesse Call