SGA talks Norse pride

Creating community was a common theme at the latest meeting of the Northern Kentucky University Student Government Association as plans were shared to increase pride among NKU students and alumni and as an organization reached out for inclusion and representation in the student body.

Preliminary plans are underway for Norse Nights to take place in the Highland Heights area. Students will wear NKU colors on certain game nights and receive discounts at area restaurants and bars. Students would not only save money through the program, but also support local business and grow in Norse pride and community, according to SGA leaders. If successful, they said the hope is to expand it throughout the Greater Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky region to build community among NKU’s 40,000 plus alumni.

SGA’s newest senators, the five freshmen elected this month, are hitting the ground running by working on a ride-share program for students, led by John Jose, who shared the idea with SGA over the summer. Initial plans include having a board for students traveling to locations such as Lexington and Louisville who want to share the gas expense with another student to solicit companions, according to SGA Vice President Danielle Hawks.

Even as none of the appointed outreach liaisons from the Residential Housing Association, Chase College of Law Student Bar Association, International Students Union, or NKU Norse Athletics have attended any of the SGA meetings this semester, another organization asked for considerations to have a liaison appointed. Black United Students, a collaboration between all campus organizations specifically serving the black community, shared their request during the open session of the meeting but did not receive an immediate response.

The SGA is also continuing work on numerous surveys to better understand student perspectives, the newest being on financial aid programs and the meals plan options provided by Chartwells, NKU’s campus food vendor, according to Chad Howe, Finance Committee chair. Three vacancies remain for senator positions within the SGA. Interested students should apply for the positions in the SGA or Dean of Students Office as soon as possible.

The budget for SGA expenses will be presented for approval by the body at the upcoming meeting.

Story by Jesse Call