Missing student calls home

James Kolstedt, the student reported missing to NKU Police by his family, called home the evening of March 31 to say he was in Seattle, Wash. according to University Police and university spokesman Chris Cole. Kolstedt’s call ended a widespread effort to locate him, which included a Norse Alert and an active search by police departments and rescue squads from across Campbell County.

“Yes, it is good news! He has been found and I am very relieved,” said William Kolstedt, his brother, who lives in Buffalo, Mo.

Cole said plans are being made for Kolstedt to be reunited with his family.

Kolstead’s brother did not offer an explanation as to why his brother was in Seattle or why his car was left at NKU.

The Facebook page, “Find James Kolstedt,” showed an outpouring of thanksgiving.

“Glad to hear you’re okay buddy. All of us at The Bank of Kentucky Center are glad you are okay and are doing well, and we all look forward to seeing you soon!” said one post. Kolstedt works as an intern at The Bank of Kentucky Center according to his LinkedIn profile.
“I began praying when I rec’d the NKU text alert at 2 a.m. I don’t know you but I know JESUS GOT U covered. Surround yourself with those that love and take care, prayer changes everything!” said another post.
“Thank God James…you are okay. Don’t scare us like that again!!” said another.

Others left comments indicating their confusion.

“Still unsure of why they conducted a search for a 19 yr old who was “missing” for less than 24 hours? I’m not trying to be rude, just confused,” someone wrote.

Another poster wrote: “Well since he’s apparently fine, I say he keeps riding the wind.”

Story by Jesse Call