SGA

Seven students attended the SGA meeting held Monday to voice concerns that they had about SGA and to gather information. Among them were Ebere Chukwunyere and Gideon Ki who asked some pertinent questions, such as – ‘Why would people come to and leave NKU?, Why is SGA not more visible? and What does SGA intend to do so remedy the problems?’

SGA commended the students for coming to voice their concerns and encouraged them to not only come to the next meeting, but to also encourage fellow students to become more involved. President Kaseke said that SGA will look into setting up a LISTSERV for students so that SGA can send announcements and updates to the student body about what is happening in SGA. SGA also is discussing whether they can purchase a banner to place in the Student Union to increase visibility.

Three resolutions were also read before the senate. The first resolution read requested that the Anne Braden Scholarship be increased by an additional $1,000 from the SGA budget to make the total scholarship award $2,000.

The second resolution requested that NKU increase the number of plants in the common areas inside building on campus in order to make NKU a ‘greener and brighter campus.’ Areas that may receive plants if the resolution passes are the Student Union, Steely Caf’eacute;, Science Building and the AS&T building.

The final resolution read requested that NKU recognize the life and work of Lyle Gray.

Jane Goode of campus planning gave a presentation about ‘RecycleMania,’ which will be taking place on campus over the coming weeks. She emphasized the importance of reducing the waste that is generated by NKU faculty, staff and students. She encouraged students to take an active role in the process by participating in ‘Green Thursdays.’ For a complete list of activities and information on how to reduce waste, visit their website at http://green.nku.edu.

A group of students from the theater and dance department also gave a presentation expressing their desire that SGA help them promote their organization to the student body.
SGA encourages all students to attend their open session meeting that is held every Monday at 3:30pm in SU 104.