Club sponsors blood drive

Northern Kentucky University held a blood drive on March 26 in the University Center Ballroom. It was sponsored by the Health’s Professions Club, the Panhellenic Council and the inter-fraternity council. Donations were being taken between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m..
Registration Technician for Hoxworth, Dianna Clark, said, ‘We need 360 pints of blood and 40 platelets and plasma everyday to supply enough for the 28 hospitals in Northern Kentucky, southern Ohio and Indiana.’

Even though you could sign up for a donation, they also welcomed walk-ins. ‘We had 15 people scheduled, and in the first hour we have seen 12 people already,’ Clark said.

‘We’ve gotten two to donate plasma and platelets, and two to donate double reds.’
Double reds is where they take more red blood cells, and replace with saline, leaving the donor more hydrated after they are done.

The whole blood taken from donors is broken down into three components and it is said that one person can contribute this way to saving three different lives.

Hannah Elliot, a freshman theatre major, admits this is her first time donating. ‘I am very much afraid of needles,’ she said. ‘However, I feel it’s time to get a better grasp of reality when it comes to needles. This will help.’

Elliot’s rationale for facing the needle is due in part to her boyfriend. He has type 1 diabetes and has to give himself shots everyday. ‘I feel if he can give shots to himself everyday, I can give blood,’ she said. ‘Seeing how my experience goes today, I am going to try and donate from now on.’

Lauren Costello, junior public relations major, said this is her first actual time donating. ‘Last time I tried donating in high school, they had the band too tight, and some blood started squirting out,’ she said.

When asked why she was donating Costello simply said, ‘I just wanted to save three lives. Also, I’ve known two people who have died from leukemia- so I wanted to help.’
There is a screening test involved before you can even give blood. Some people weren’t able to donate like they had hoped.

Christy Hardwick, and undecided freshman, was one of the many who couldn’t donate. Her reason being because her pulse was too high. ‘My pulse is always high, but they can only check your pulse twice in one day-it’s an FDA. standard,’ she said.

Hardwick said if she had been able to donate, it would’ve been her third or fourth time. ‘I have O negative blood type; it’s the universal donor,’ Hardwick said.

Madison Pfingston, a sophomore education major, also donated. She is in her first year on the Panhellenic council.

‘We sponsor the blood drive as a way to give back,’ Pfingston said. ‘We always do humanitarian work in our community.’

While admitting it’s a lot of work, Pfingston says that it makes you feel good knowing you can help save lives and make a difference. Fraternities and sororities are encouraged to donate; they receive Greek points for it. Most of them, however, came just to help save three lives.