wlkerwlsmall>Going red for a good causewlkerwl/small>

With sweat on their brows and hips gyrating, two students were locked in a battle of wills. Neither one was willing to give up, and the stand-off’ raged for over an hour.

Pride, personal honor, and free Cincinnati Reds tickets were on the line. At eight minutes after the hour, Emily Romito, a sophomore elementary education major, had all she could hula and could hula no more. Erin Kelley, a sophomore anthropology major, was the triumphant winner of ‘Hula for your Heart.’ ‘
‘Ok … (I) can’t feel my legs,’ said Kelley in regard to how she felt after her winning time of one hour and 15 minutes.

The hula hoop contest was part of the Go Red for Heart Health event sponsored by the School of Nursing and Health Professions and the NKU Wellness Center Feb. 6 in the Student Union in honor of National Wear Red Day.

This was all part of a series of events for the American Heart Month, an annual event started by The American Heart Association. While the national Go Red for Women event is traditionally aimed at women, this campus event sought to educate all students about heart health.

‘It’s something on my mind but not at the forefront. It encourages me to get out and exercise,’ said Melissa Koppenhoefer, Student Government Association executive vice president. ‘

The the student union lobby held various activities and services all centered around heart health. Students who wore red in honor of the event received a coupon for half off a healthy meal option from the various vendors in the food court. A body mass index machine was available and members of the Wellness Center were on hand to discuss the results with students.

Third year nursing students Heather Weckbach and Serena Di Trapani assisted in blood pressure checks. According to the two, exercise, diet and a good night’s rest can help to prevent and control high blood pressure. Nicole Shea, Senior in Nursing, was also on hand with pamphlets and information on how to keep your heart healthy.
For those that missed out on the event, there will be free blood pressure screenings from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Feb. 11′ in the DorothyWesterman Herman Science Center and from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Albright Health Center.

The Wellness Center will also be holding two discussions as part of a Heart Health Lunch and Learn series in Student Union Room 108.
The first on Feb. 11 is ‘De-Stress the Stress Test” which is a discussion about heart related tests.

The second which is titled’ ‘Survivor Stories’ is on Feb. 18 and will have faculty member Jill Shelley and Kim Luce, executive assistants to President Votruba, share their stories of dealing with heart disease.
To register for these events please contact Shelli Stinson,’ wellness manager, at (859) 572-1922.