Out of Bounds: Baseball is nearing

Now I know not all of you are going to be with me on this one, but with the weather being as it has been lately and a certain sports season a little over a month away, I couldn’t resist.’

For many sports fans in this area, it’s a time in which they long for the serene tones of Marty Brennaman and Joe Nuxhall gently vibrating through the speakers in their Camry.

For others, it’s a time of sheer hope that somehow, someway this is going to be their year.’ And then there’s the group that thinks they’re crazy and finishes filling out their arena football season ticket form while weeping during the Pro Bowl.

I’ve got some good news for the majority of you.’

Baseball is coming.

For this old Cubs fan, the promise of hope and prospect of a championship that has remained elusive for more than 100-years will eventually give way to grief and despair and possible heartburn that induces sleepless nights, bringing on a nasty cold.’

Ah, futility.’ ‘ ‘

For Reds fans, or fans of other teams that grew up in this area, the best way to overcome the heartache of losing the ‘Old Lefthander,’ was for their team to bring in their native son to replace him.’

So the Reds brought in the son of the legend in their own radio booth and a man that has made his own name in the family business.’

You have seen him call a number of League Championship series’ on FOX and loves being home with his dad by his side in the booth.’

Brennamania was born!

It’s funny how a great broadcast team can make it worth listening to an atrocious baseball team.’ Just think of it like this: at least some of you can vaguely remember Marty saying ‘and the 1990 World Championship belongs to’hellip;” You know the rest.’

Ronald Reagan, who started as a radio announcer, was three years away from birth the last time the Cubs won a championship.’ ‘ (Did I mention futility? )

The rest of you can enjoy Jared Lorenzen tearing through arena league football defenses over the next few months.’ And he will; book it.

Inside the confines of this University, there is’Chicago-esque’ optimism.’ The team providing such temperament has yielded championship results however.’ To be exact, they tout four Great Lakes Valley Conference crowns in the last seven years.’ Their fourth title came last season.’ ‘ ‘

Coming off that championship 38-24 season, the Norse baseball team finds itself once again in the pre-season national top-40.’ They’re ranked at No. 26, in fact.’
And if you agree with the assessment from Ping! Baseball, they’re a couple spots better than that.’ They’re also picked to finish first, once again, in the GLVC East Division.’

With pre-season All-American’s senior outfielder Kevin Dusold and senior catcher Larry Pempeck leading the charge, it’s looking good in Highland Heights.

On the north side of Chicago however, fans still believe fate is in the hands of a goat.’

Send your prayers.