Just as chips need good beer, wings need good dip

Because apparently fatty foods demand fatty accompaniments, blue cheese dip has long been the de facto condiment of the must-have food of Superbowl parties – chicken wings.

Actually, it makes sense. Fat-on-fat usually isn’t a great pairing, but in this case it works. The tangy bite of the blue cheese cuts through the fat of the chicken, while the creaminess mellows the heat of the sauce.

But to do your wings justice, ditch the bottled dressing. Too often it is cloying and lacking assertive blue cheese flavor. And it’s easy and fast to make an awesome blue cheese dressing that honors, rather than obliterates, your wings.

In this recipe, the combination of sour cream, mayonnaise and thick Greek-style yogurt offers the perfect blend of creaminess and acidity, a great base for crumbled blue cheese.

And be sure to buy good blue cheese. The other ingredients in this recipe are inexpensive, so splurge on the cheese. Skip the containers of pre-crumbled cheese. For better quality, but a block and crumbled it yourself.

When selecting blue cheese, note that more veining (the ‘blue’ in the blue cheese) doesn’t necessarily equate to more flavor. For the best flavor and crumble, go with a Gorgonzola or Roquefort.

Using low- or no-fat sour cream, yogurt and mayonnaise would be an easy way to lighten up this admittedly indulgent recipe. Or if you’d rather push it way over the top, crumbled cooked bacon would be a delicious addition.

___

BLOW-YOUR-MIND BLUE CHEESE DIP

Start to finish: 1 hour (10 minutes active)

Servings: 10

2 tablespoons olive oil

4 cloves garlic, minced

3 shallots, minced

1/2 teaspoon mustard powder

1 1/2 cups sour cream

1/2 cup plain Greek-style yogurt

2 tablespoons mayonnaise

1 3/4 cups crumbled blue cheese (such as Gorgonzola or Roquefort)

1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley

Pinch paprika

In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, combine the oil, garlic, shallots and mustard powder. Saute until the shallots are lightly browned and very tender, about 4 to 5 minutes.

Remove the skillet from the heat and let cool for 5 minutes. Stir in the sour cream, yogurt and mayonnaise. Stir in the blue cheese. Transfer to a serving bowl, then refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.

When ready to serve, sprinkle with parsley and paprika.

Nutrition information per serving (values are rounded to the nearest whole number): 207 calories; 153 calories from fat; 17 g fat (9 g saturated; 0 g trans fats); 44 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrate; 7 g protein; 0 g fiber; 369 mg sodium.