Mascots bring game to BOKC

The Northern Kentucky University men’s and women’s basketball teams hosted the respective programs of Missouri S&T for some double-header action on Jan. 22.

However, the two NKU basketball games weren’t the only action Norse fans were treated to.

NKU took fan entertainment to a new level on this night with its participation in the 14th annual NCAA Take a Kid to the Game night (TAKG) and the second annual mascot basketball game.

TAKG grants free admission to children 14 years or younger when accompanied by a paying adult. It was created so adults could take children to local college football and basketball games and allow them to become familiar with the college teams and actual colleges.

At NKU, TAKG also includes giveaways to children and features a mascot basketball game ‘- during which several mascots from local sports teams and businesses ‘- play a basketball game of their own.

According to Chris Hafling, director of athletic marketing and promotions at NKU, the goal of events such as the TAKG program and the mascot basketball game is to create a fun atmosphere for spectators and build community support for local college sports teams.

‘We hope that by the end of the night, families leave the building talking about what a fun time they had tonight and hopefully will return to another game later in the season,’ he said.

This year’s mascots included Frisch’s Big Boy, ‘Snappy’ from Snappy Tomato Pizza and ‘Liberty’ from the Florence Freedom.

The Norse’s very own ‘Victor E. Viking’ was in attendance also.

Alyssa Meyer, a senior public relations major and NKU cheerleading captain, regarded the Norse mascot as an important part of athletics at NKU and one of the most recognizable figures on campus.

‘Victor represents the drive and intensity our athletes have to have during competition,’ she said.

Meyer added that she views promotions such as the mascot game as a fresh addition to any sporting event.

‘It’s very important to have promotions and special events in sports because it is a refreshing and new every time, instead of going to the same old game,’ she said.