Across the University

Haile/ US Bank College of Business:

Associate construction management professor Daryl Orth received the Outstanding Teaching Award for the College of Business. The award recipient is determined by the dean and department chairs through a review of teaching portfolios which included student evaluations.

College of Arts and Sciences:

A new minor in Cinema Studies is to be added for the Spring 2009 semester. Through Cinema Studies courses, students will learn to develop and broaden critical understanding of history, theory, production, reception and analysis of cinema as an international social practice of cultural narrative, commentary and artistic expression. Learn more at cinema.nku.edu or e-mail Dr. John Alberti at alberti@nku.edu.

College of Nursing and Health Professions:

Alumni David McClure won the Northern Kentucky University Nursing Civic Engagement Award at the Rho Theta Nursing Honor Society Induction Gala Oct. 24. McClure coordinates disaster relief for hurricanes and floods, most notably the 1997 Midwest flood, Hurricane Katrina in 2005 and Hurricane Ike in 2008 and educates others to promote disaster nursing and recruitment.

Chase College of Law:

The ABA Law Student Division Regional Arbitration Competition is Nov. 14-16. Students develop opening statements, witness examinations, evidentiary presentations and summations and present an arbitration case concerning election campaign staff in a breach of contract suit. Students can sign up to help out on the Chase Student Advocacy Society TWEN page sign up sheets. Contact Danielle Lorenz at lorenzd1@nku.edu or (513) 850-5816.

College of Informatics:

Professor James Walden will discuss significant security issues in electronic voting from 12:15 p.m. to 1:20 p.m. Nov. 18 in Student Union Room 302. The session is free and open to all. Walden will cite examples of security problems from this year’s election and draw on his knowledge as a computer scientist to discuss possible solutions to security issues.

College Education and Human Services:

Praxis testing is Nov. 15 at 7:30 am in Founders Hall, fifth floor. States use The Praxis Series