SGA plans overhaul

The Student Government Association won’t rewrite its current constitution and instead opted to explore other universities for ideas in crafting a new governing document, a senator said at the Oct. 27 meeting.

The changes, according to Sen. Rodney Moore who heads the amendment committee, will center mainly on cleaning up language and altering elections. The current constitution, he said, is too ambiguous in its language. Instead, he said that SGA will look to other universities and benchmark documents to form the new constitution.

Moore added that the final product must go through several levels of approval, including SGA, the administration and a general vote on it as a referendum.

“It could be a year from now (before it’s approved),” he said.

The Senate also discussed its continuing “Norsification” efforts, which now include a revival of the Norse Force, NKU’s pep squad. The discussion comes as 300 of the 1,400 free tickets, which NKU offered to students for the season opening basketball game Nov. 6, have not been claimed by students.

“There are still 300 free tickets left,” Executive Vice President Melissa Koppenhoefer said. “I just wanted to emphasize they’re free.”

SGA President Gabe Cronon said that he views the number of tickets remaining as a positive indicator of increased student attendance to games. He pointed out that 1,100 students is almost a larger crowd than Regents Hall attracted.

Nonetheless, (name) who is vice president of student involvement, said that students are already planning for Norse Force. He offered T-shirt and merchandise giveaways, themed games and a “gold rush” to celebrate Homecoming at games as ideas.

SGA also laid out its Veterans’ Day plans, and problems that arose while coordinating them. One group stopped replying to SGA contacts. Then, Geoff Davis, Highland Heights’ Congressman, announced that he couldn’t make the commemoration.