Women’s soccer scoring in bunches

There are two conflicting styles of play for the two Northern Kentucky soccer teams. The men, on one hand, win with the “Norse Wall.”

The Women’s team, on the other hand, scores. – a whole lot. Look at last week, for example. The women’s team rolled up 10 goals against Saint Joe’s. Leading 1-0 at halftime, the Norse went on a scoring onslaught en route to a 10-0 rout of this year’s Great Lakes Valley Conference bottom feeder.

Head coach Bob Sheehan wasn’t terribly happy at halftime. He probably had a point. The Norse, after all, have the most explosive offense in the GLVC. They average more than three goals per contest, and they lead the league in shots on goal and assists.

Whatever Sheehan said at the half, the Norse responded in a resounding fashion.

To their credit, whether they played Saint Joseph’s or Lewis or Drury, 10 goals are 10 goals. It’s not an everyday occurrence that a soccer team, at any level of play, scores 10 in one game, much less nine in one half.

Although the Saint Joe’s blowout skewed their offensive average, in the previous nine games the Norse scored 26. Still not too shabby – no one else in the GLVC can duplicate those numbers.

The recent offensive outburst has the women’s soccer team right in the thick of the GLVC race, which ends within the next three weeks. The women’s side of the GLVC standings, is in a word, messy.

The Norse now find themselves in second place. Just last week, the Norse were tied for sixth. Wins last weekend over MO.-St. Louis and Southern Indiana propelled the Norse, who sit right behind UW-Parkside.

The GLVC is a solid conference, with teams constantly beating up on each other. It is similar to the NFL’s NFC East. Right now it doesn’t matter who’s leading.

It does matter when the dust clears and everyone emerges from the pile. The Norse, for now, anyway, are on a roll with the longest current winning streak in the conference.

Angela Healy, formerly the center on the Division II Women’s National Championship team, is helping defensively, allowing a goals-against-average of less than one per game. Thus far, Kelly Sullivan, Amanda Mason and Kendall Day have combined for 44 points by themselves, and as mentioned, the Norse are outscoring everyone in the conference.

Right now, the Norse are in good shape, considering they’re in the middle of the GLVC race at the most critical point in the season.

The team, without a doubt, will continue to be in contention, if they continue to score.

They can’t score 10 every game, but scoring three or four helps, too.