Senate votes to impeach absentee

The Student Government Association unanimously voted to impeach a senator at its meeting Oct. 13.

Senator Mike Tobergta brought the issue against Senator R. Chase Kendall, citing Article VII, Section 1 A. 1, grounds for impeachment. The article states a senator can be impeached for “repeatedly neglecting his or her duties.” According to SGA’s constitution, acquiring three or more unexcused absences in a semester is grounds for impeachment.

According to SGA attendance records, Kendall has not appeared at any SGA meetings since the beginning of the fall 2008 semester. He has two excused absences and five unexcused absences.

The SGA advisor determines approved absences, according to the constitution.

During open session, Norbert ‘Michael’ Schafer pointed out issues students have mentioned with Callahan Residence Hall. For example, some rooms have more square footage than other rooms but all students are charged the same rate.

Also, he said the cafeteria closes at 3 p.m. each Friday, leaving students without food options at the dorm.

The shuttle to and from Callahan is also a concern for students, he said. It stops at only the Business, Education and Psychology Building but was advertised to stop at every TANK stop around campus. and run every 15 minutes. Students also complained that there are no computer labs in Callahan.

Stephen Meier, manager of the dean of students office and student development, reassured them labs will be added to the dorm.