Cross-Country teams finish in second place

Both Cross Country teams snagged second place finishes at the Carnegie Mellon Invitational in Pittsburgh, Penn., Oct. 11.

“Our pack runs very close together,” Cross Country Head Coach Steve Kruse said. “At the Carnegie meet, Drew (Harris) was 25:51. Our fifth runner, Eddie Griffin, was 26:34.”

The Women’s team likewise runs closely together, Kruse said.

Harris was the first of the Norse to finish, garnering fourth place in the eight-kilometer race with a time of 25:51.56. According to Northern Kentucky University’s Sports Information Web site, that’s the 16th fastest time in NKU history. This comes on top of Harris’ achieving NKU’s second best time in Louisville Oct. 4, with a time of 24:47.

“Drew’s got the talent. He’s a very hard worker,” Kruse said. “He does a lot of things on his own in the summer. He prepared himself very well.”

Jenna Siemer, however, showed the invitational that the Women’s team packs its own punch. She finished fifth in the 5K with a time of 19:01.03 at the invitational, and earned her place in Norse history with the eigth fastest time in NKU Women’s history..

“She did a great job getting to the head of the pack,” Kruse said. “She’s a late bloomer; as the season goes on she gets better and better. Jenna is providing that spark right now.”

He said that the increase in performance comes from not only the teams’ rising abilities, but their confidence as well.

“The past two weeks have been a great confidence builder,” he said. “They’re getting in there and mixing it up with other teams.”

Kira Cooper, the final Norse woman to finish, had a time of 20:29.46, earning her 25th place.

On the Men’s front, Zach Koheler led behind Harris, finishing with a time of 26:08.85 in 7th place. The rest of the Norse finished within 32 seconds of him, according to NKU Sports Information Web Site.

The next meet is at Wilmington College for the Wilmington Fall Classic. Then, the post-season begins with a game at 10:30 for men, 11:30 for women, Oct. 25 at Rolla, Mo.