CG to play host to drag show

Common Ground is inviting students to “come out” and see NKU’s finest queens strut their stuff at their annual drag show. The student-ran “Alice in Wonderland” themed event is part of the National Coming Out Day weeklong celebration hosted by the organization.

According to Will Jordan, who will be performing in the show, “The main goal (of this week’s activities) is knowledge – to educate people, let them know we (Common Ground) are here, break stereotypes and support.”

Jordan, whose stage name is Kamron Vaughn, began doing shows in 2001.

“I’ve always had an outgoing personality. I love attention,” he said. “(Drag) is a way to be on stage and perform and have a great time.”

Routines are planned out meticulously and require great preparation. Jordan cites learning dance moves from music videos and practicing lip sync as the most helpful exercises.

“Lip sync is a big deal in drag,” Jordan said. “Lips have to go perfectly with the song. They have to be dramatic.”

On the day of the show, Jordan begins his own preparation four hours before the show. This includes shaving, applying makeup and getting into costume. In the past there have been times when he has also made his own costumes, which took three to four days to create.

Even though he has been performing for years, Jordan said he still gets nervous at the beginning of every show.

“Before every show I’m nervous and shaking,” he said. “But once I get on stage, I’m out there performing.”

This year’s show will be different because many new students will be performing, and more straight allies are expected to attend.

The annual show, hosted by Common Ground is its biggest fundraiser of the year. Admission is free, but donations are accepted. All proceeds go to expenses incurred by the organization.

This year’s show will be held at 8 p.m. Oct. 16 in the University Center Ballroom.

The cost is $3 and is open to the public.