Presidents’ aides to give election talk

Karl Rove and Dee-Dee Myers, top aides to the past two presidents, will discuss the current election and take questions from the audience about the presidential campaign trail Oct. 9.

“It’s their experience and expertise in the inner circles, behind the scenes,” Northern Kentucky University Spokesman Chris Cole said. “Both have insights into what goes on in a campaign.”

Rove, who served as deputy chief of staff under President George W. Bush during both his terms and runs for the presidency. Dee-Dee Myers was the press secretary during Bill Clinton’s presidency between 1993 and ’94.

The pair will be present for three events: a student-only lecture at 4 p.m., a VIP reception at 5 p.m. and the public lecture at 6 p.m.

Cole said that the first talk is to give students a chance to see the pair.

“The student lecture is, for all and intents and purposes, is a mini-version of the later lecture,” Cole said. “It’s a way of presenting these leaders to students without them paying for tickets.”

The moderator, Sheree Paolello, is an alumna. She will introduce the pair, who will speak for 10-20 minutes apiece, and then guide the discussion while the audience asks questions.

“She’ll keep the event rolling, make sure the pace is a nice quick pace, that it doesn’t get bogged down on one topic,” Cole said. “Her role is kind of making sure one topic doesn’t dominate.”

Students can pick up tickets, which are free, for the first lecture at the Student Life Office. Tickets to the public lecture are available by calling (859) 572-5730 or by visiting alumni.nku.edu. Public lecture tickets are $10 for students, $35 for faculty and staff and $40 for the general public.